How much will hiring a lawyer cost me?

Each case is unique and requires its own assessment to estimate cost. Schedule a free consultation during which you can give the firm details and gain a better understanding of what your case may cost.

How long does it take?  

Again. It depends on what you want, the facts and law, and the reasonableness of the parties. Schedule a free consultation.

How much will I receive or pay in child support?  

Both parents will have a child support obligation. The parent with the children more overnights per year typically receives child support. A parent’s base monthly child support obligation is calculated using each parent’s gross monthly income and the number of overnights each parent has with their children during a year. You can get an idea of how much you may receive or pay in child support by use the Utah Child Support Calculator.

How much will I receive or pay in alimony?  

There is no standard alimony calculator. The idea is for both spouses to maintain, as closely as possible, the same standard of living after marriage that they enjoyed during marriage. If that is not possible, then to get them to equal standards of living. Husband and wife will both need to write down their monthly expenses. Then look at their net incomes to see if they can meet those monthly expenses with their own income. The difference between the amount of money a parent needs to maintain the historic marital standard of living and a parent’s own ability to meet that standard is the maximum cap on a monthly alimony award.

What is the minimum amount of time I will have with my children?  

When it comes to custody and parent-time determinations, courts focus on the best interest of the children. Generally, a parent will not receive less than the minimum statutory parent-time. For children ages 5 to 18 that includes alternating weekends, one weekday evening each week, four weeks in the summer for extended parent-time, and alternating holidays. Ideally, parents agree on a parent-time schedule.

I am already divorced but my former spouse is not obeying our divorce decree, what can I do?  

The first thing you can do is make sure you are complying with the court’s order. Take the higher road - a good life principle and beneficial legally. To enforce a court order, generally the complying party writes down the details of the other party’s non-compliance and submits it to the court. The court then issues an order commanding the non-complying party to show up to court and explain why he or she is not complying. Attorney fees can be awarded to the prevailing party.

I don’t want to have a trial. Is there another way?  

Yes. You don’t have to have a trial. Judges prefer it if spouses come to their own agreements. If you and your spouse agree on how you will divide time with your children, divide marital debts and property, then that agreement can be submitted to the court which can issue a divorce decree based on your agreement. In fact, in Utah husbands and wives must participate in mediation before they can even have a trial. If your spouse is not willing to be reasonable, the firm is experienced at trial work and can present your case to a court.